A number of social, economic and personal factors can lead to an outrageous debt situation. It is extremely important not to let a debt situation linger for long and take care of it as immediately as possible. While there are various legal solutions available for you to deal with debt crises, it is important to choose the right one for you. Since it is not possible for laypersons to have appropriate knowledge about all their legal rights and options, it is advisable to seek advice from an expert legal advisor.
Bankruptcy is one of the significant legal options that can provide immense relief from an outrageous debt burden. It can be effectively used by both individuals and organizations to overcome difficult debt situations. However, like any other debt solution, even bankruptcy has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Whether it can appropriately help you in dealing with your financial difficulties, and be an ideal legal option for you can be best explained by a knowledgeable and experienced attorney. Reliable bankruptcy advice can help you determine whether you should resort to bankruptcy for overcoming your financial crises.
Bankruptcy filing involves a number of pros and cons that can affect your life in various ways. Let us first discuss some of the advantages of bankruptcy:
- With bankruptcy, you can get an instant relief from the immense stress caused to you by creditor harassments. Once you are declared bankrupt, your creditors are legally prohibited to bother you for money anymore. They are also forbidden to file any lawsuits against you. This saves you immensely from the disturbances and harassments caused by your lenders.
- Foreclosure is a serious problem that can make you feel absolutely overwhelmed and confused. If your mortgaged property is about to be foreclosed by your creditors, bankruptcy can help you deal with the situation efficiently. With bankruptcy, the court issues an automatic stay that becomes active the moment you are declared bankrupt. This automatic stay puts a hold on the foreclosure. While in some cases the procedure is paused permanently, sometimes they are put on hold for a definite time span. Even if the automatic stay cannot stop the foreclosure permanently, it can certainly provide you some precious time to make some kind of financial arrangement to pay off your creditors and save your property from getting seized.
- With bankruptcy, all your past credit records and bank information are cleared by the court. Though this might be quite a scary situation for most people, you can be comforted by the fact that it gives you a wonderful opportunity to start your financial records anew.
However, along with these advantages, there are various disadvantages of bankruptcy that you need to evaluate as well. Sound bankruptcy advice from a reliable bankruptcy attorney can help you evaluate them appropriately:
- With a bankruptcy record you are forbidden to pursue certain careers. For example, you are no more allowed to work as a legal practitioner or a chartered accountant. You are also not allowed to serve as a company director.
- Some forms of bankruptcy can cause you to lose control over your assets
Consulting with an expert legal advisor can help you to understand the true effects of bankruptcy filing on your life, and its worth as a debt solution.